While researching ideas for the Creative Classes article, I discovered some really fun activities that would be perfect for a small group of friends. If you are looking to keep your circle connected, try one of these fun friend meet-ups. Not only will your bond grow stronger, but you will create some fantastic lasting memories too!
Where: At a restaurant, bar or other venues near you (see list below)
Spend the evening with your friends creating one-of-a-kind art. The artist hosting the event provides step-by-step instructions to help you paint your representation of the nights chosen artwork. Depending on location, many of these Paint Nights offer alcoholic beverages and food too.
Businesses / Locations that offer Painting Classes
- Paint Nite – the official paint event coordinators. There are several locations all over Vancouver Island. Head to their website and type the destination of choice in the search bar. I have no doubt you will find one near you.
- Oceanside Paint Party – this one is based out of the areas of Parksville and Qualicum. They too operate out of various locations, some of which give you the ability to have a drink and/or something to eat while creating your masterpiece.
- The Crow’s Nest Gallery and Art Studio – Great idea for your next work party, client social, birthday or just a night out with friends. Choose from a variety of customizable party packages. The Crow’s Nest Gallery is located in Campbell River.
You are locked in a room (or rooms) together and are trying to beat the clock to escape the scenario put in front of you. This task requires a tremendous amount of teamwork and the ability to think outside the box. Do you have what it takes to escape?
Where: Several Vancouver Island locations
- Horror Escape – 523 Broughton Street, Victoria
- Victoria Escape Games – 531 Yates Street, Victoria
- Escape Warriors – 1111 Blanshard Street, Suite 201, Victoria
- Trapped – 1211 Wharf Street, Victoria
- Breakout Nanaimo – 101-321 Wallace Street, Nanaimo
- Escapism Nanaimo – 1870 East Wellington Road Nanaimo
- EXIT Nanaimo – 2-4890 Rutherford Road, Nanaimo
- Crypt-Tic – 472 5th Street, Courtney
Food and Drink Tours
Whether self-guided or with a tour company, a food and drink tour is a sure bet in creating lasting memories with a group of friends.
Where: Several locations throughout Vancouver Island
This self-guided tour leads you through the streets and areas of Nanaimo. While on route you will experience the delicious and creative interpretations of the famous Nanaimo Bar. Pick up a map at one of the Visitor Centres in Nanaimo (or download a digital version from their website) and discover more than 35 participating locations.
Offered through Vancouver Island Expeditions, this four-hour tour gives you a chance to discover the best of Nanaimo’s local food, craft beverages, and estate wineries. You will taste, nibble, sip and sample your way through local vineyards, breweries, distilleries, and local food producers.
In order to enjoy your winery and/or craft brewery tours even more, let someone else do the driving! Cheers Cowichan Tours offers daily tours of local wineries, breweries, and attractions. You also have the ability to add on a dining option to your package as well.
This brewery tour company is rated the best in Victoria. Join them for a unique and fun behind the scenes look at some of the finest Craft Breweries. Along the way, you will sample from some of the coolest brewery locations around the Greater Victoria area.
Not only do you sample delicious food and drinks, but you also get to see places in Victoria you may not even know existed and learn about the history of each area along the way. You’ll be full of good eats as well as knowledge after taking this tour!
Race a NASkart
Where: Fast Time Grand Prix – Parksville
Head out on the 1/2 km race track with a European designed kart. While sitting only inches from the track surface, you will race your friends around a 35 turn course giving you the feeling of driving like a Formula One Racer. The race track opens back up again March 2017.
Go Rock Climbing
Whether indoor or outdoor, rock climbing is a great way to bond as a group…and get yourself in shape too!
Where: Several Vancouver Island locations.
- Crag X Climbing Centre – Downtown Victoria (769 Pandora Avenue)
- The Boulders Climbing Gym – Central Saanich (1627 Stelly’s Crossroad Road)
- The Wall – located on Salt Spring Island (268 Fulford-Ganges Road)
- Romper Room – located in Nanaimo (4385-B Boban Drive)
- Wip Climbing – 780 30th St, Courtenay
- On the Rocks Climbing Gym – located in Campbell River (1980 North Island Hwy)
To gain experience on natural rock, Horne Lake Caves & Outdoor Centre offers a 2 hour rappel training to help you learn how to descend vertical rock faces on rope. If you want to take your rappelling experience even further, I highly suggest doing their ‘5 hour Extreme Rappel Expedition‘. (If I can do it, so can you!).
Tube Down the River
Where: Cowichan River
Floating down the lazy Cowichan River with a drink in hand is the absolute perfect way to spend a hot summer afternoon. And a really fun thing to do with a group of friends! If you think this is an activity you wish to try, make sure to read these frequently asked questions first: Cowichan River Tubing
While we are on the topic of fun summer group activities, river rafting should definitely be mentioned!
Where: Destiny River Adventures – Campbell River
Whether you are looking for a nice easy float tour with a good chance of viewing wildlife, or you want to try something a little more adventurous on whitewater rapids, Destiny River Adventures has got it covered. Head to their website and check out their half-day, full-day, and multi-day tours.
Where: Axe & Grind – both Nanaimo and Victoria
Axe & Grind brings this quintessentially Canadian backyard sport indoors so you can experience something new with friends. Experienced staff will teach you how to throw an axe in a safe and fun environment, paving the way for a bit of competition amongst your group.
What are your favourite activities to do with a group of friends?
Do you have any other fun group activities to share with us?
Let us know in the comments below.
Save this article for future use on Pinterest by using the image below: